Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Kitchen!

(I just noticed I use a lot of exclamation points in my post titles. I need to work on that. But this one deserves it!)

We have kitchen! A functioning kitchen with doors (save two) and food in it and everything! It's kind of amazing to me. I was beginning to think that this day would never come, but lo and behold, here it is.

Just in time too, as we are back up to 21 for Thanksgiving.

On Thursday, the plumbers came and proved themselves to indeed by my new best friends by hooking up the sink. Yes, they came a day early. And now, running water, whoo! And also, they are the freaking cutest guys ever, because they took all the dirty dishes that had been in the "bitchen" (bathroom + kitchen), and moved them to the sink. And they took the dish rack from the bitchen, and moved it to the kitchen. Awww!

Friday I hit the shelves and finished assembly of the drawers. Thank god IKEA assumes you're going to screw things up and give you a way to de-attach things after they've been attached. Cause I put the drawer faces on upside down twice.

Saturday, Mom and Dad came by to move the old fridge to it's place in the basement to hold the Thanksgiving feastage. Turns out the sucker's on wheels, which makes it a lot easier to move. Nice work old fridge!

Then dad and I got cranking on putting on the doors while mom attacked the little wee bit of unpainted trim in the living room that was going to drive her insane until it was done. That's why I love my mom--she's just as nuts as I am.

Once we figured out the hinges, it was pretty straightforward. And dad only busted one set before he figured out that you need to tap the suckers into the holes BEFORE attacking it with the drill. And so after they took off, I loaded the food and kitchen crap into the drawers and shelves etc.

Granted, it's still an unholy mess and there's no shade on the ceiling fan (it cracked and we have yet to get a replacement), there are a few holes in the walls still that need to be patched, there are blue tape pulls instead of the pretty shiny lee valley pulls, two missing fronts, and a ton of boxes and crap and trash sitting around, but... we have kitchen!

Now I just gotta go cook...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home