Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

more progress!

ok, I lied. We're not 19 for Thanksgiving anymore. It looks like it'll be about 12-14, which is a little easier since it means one turkey, not two. whoo!

But it's still a weeeeee bit stressful, considering that we don't have the kitchen done yet. we're close though!

We have juice! The 'lectricans came and 'lectrified stuff, and added in 4 canister lights without doing any damage to the ceiling or the walls. I am amazed. then they returned yesterday and installed the lights--I can see things! Clearly! Well-lit things! We have can lights, and a ceiling fan (with a cracked globe that needs replacing, but still works), and undercabinet lights! Just like a real kitchen!

And my favorite part: The kitchen has WALLS. Walls, people! Walls with drywall! Last week, they guys came and did the drywall, so when the weekend came around we were all ready to have cabinets attached. But the day they were there, when I came home from work after the guys had been there, I just about fell to my knees and cried. Not only was the wall drywalled, the ceiling patched, but THEY FIXED THE PLASTER! Part of the wall was cracked and crumbling, and the night before I'd patched and done a light skim coat over about 40% of the crappy wall, expecting to finish up the really crappy 60% the next night. But no! the guys did it for me. Oh sweet heaven.

So then it was time for the ikea cabinets. JBB and my dad (aka Mr. Tom) installed them this past weekend. It only took two trys for each run.

I should clarify, lest I give the impression JBB and Mr. Tom did anything wrong, which they did not. First, JBB had most of the cabinets assembled. The uppers are hung on a pretty ingenious rail system, that while like a french cleat, isn't one. So JBB and Mr. Tom leveled the rail, screwed it in, and hung (but not screwed in) two of the wall uppers on Sat. evening. They were at standard height, but Mr. Tom thought they might be too low. Keep in mind Mr. Tom is something like 6'1", and I am 5'5". I have heard this "too low" arguement before, and not always agreed. knowing this, they waited until I returned from my friend's 30th birthday party (whoo karaoke!) to consult me. Yeah, too low. They had to re-do.

The next day, they were leveling the lowers, and had them all leveled to be 36" high, sans countertops (which are the ikea butcherblock and 1 1/2" thick). Yet again, I had issues. Yeah, too high guys. So uncomfortable. So they had to re-do.

But then they were in and bolted together and to the wall! Like a real kitchen!

Monday night, Mr. Tom came by again, and they cut the pieces for the countertop, in the dining room. There was only minor panic when we couldn't find the instructions or the template for the sink cutout (which is huge--you cut out underneath the integrated drainboard too). Interwebs to the rescue there. So JBB got that laid out, and then had to go pack for his week long biz trip.

Leaving me and Mr. Tom to actually make the sink cutout last night--it works! it fits! I'm still a little shocked! And screw the support "cover panel" to the wall by the dishwasher. Dad took the corner pieces of the countertop back to his shop to attach them. Yay for biscuit joins and clamps!

Tonight? Counter gets attached. Sink gets attached. Because Friday the plumber comes to hook that sucker up, and I can once again do the damn dishes in a real sink! Maybe I can even put doors up, dare I even think it....


And, as if wonders will never cease, we finally chose pulls. And when I say "we" I mean me. Both JBB and I are happy with satin nickel/brushed nickel bin pulls and knobs, but I was having the damndest time making a decision. I had lists and lists and lists. Do you even know how many folks out there sell satin nickel/brushed nickel bin pulls and knobs (with a slight line/reveal, please)? Jeeze. In the end it came down to Restoration Hardware (surprisingly reasonable in price), and Lee Valley (views A and G). Of course we went with the Lee Valley--and also got these label pulls for two of the wee drawers on the 9-inch wide cabinet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home