Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

devil wallpaper

You see this wallpaper on the right?

127_2708

Yes, it's ugly. But more than that, it's the DEVIL.

Why you ask? Well because I was up til 1 am last night trying to strip the freaking thing off the damn wall. It. WON'T. COME. OFF.

Yeah sure, I got the top layer of faux fabric crap off. But the paper? Oh the paper just laughed at me. Guffawed at the properly diluted DIF. Chortled at the completely and 100% UN-diluted DIF. Giggled at the wee little steamer.

I swear to god, I think they put it up with epoxy or something. Thank goodness it's just chair rail level.

As I was scraping my little heart out, muttering curse after curse at the possessed wallpaper, Jonathan (who was assembling Pax closets for me!) came by and suggested co ering it up with wainscoting. At the time, I was like "NO! This wallpaper will bend to my will!" Now, it sounds like a good idea. Or a belt sander.

Jonathan's worst case suggestion: rip down all the plaster and replaster. HA! Because this crap is totally out to get me and that may be what it comes to.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger JBB said...

BTW I also love that picture because it makes our house look like Two-Face. Can you believe somebody would really paint adjoining rooms that way?

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Durf said...

I feel your pain. I had a horrible time removing old (I'd say late 1800's/early 1900's) wallpaper in a very shallow, narrow closet. Also, some of it had been painted and/or joint compounded over. I couldn't do it for any length of time because of the pain from contorting my body in that stupid closet. I also didn't have the patience. It probably took me over a month!

I think you're doing a fabulous job with the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home