Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

iiiikea!

I am posty mc posts a lot today. But it's because we got a lot done this weekend.

After Friday's adventure with carpet (ewwww) and near-completion of the master bedroom, we were left only to fix the lack of closets.

And that was a job for Ikea. Actually, Ikea and my parents, Mr. Tom and Miz Karen and their momvom, which will actually hold a flat packed Pax wardrobe box. Or five.

So Saturday am, I primed and started finish painting the baseboards in the living room, while the locksmith came and fixed our door and lock. Now all doors lock AND latch! It's a wonder of modern living, I tell you this.

We met mom and dad at Ikea (only 20 minutes late because of the locksmith and stupid parkway traffic that sucks). Luckily, if you are waiting for someone, Ikea's a pretty good place to do it, because you can say, plan their new kitchen wilst eating cinnamon buns on comfy and cheap sofas. It's kinda the perfect place.

so we wandered through the showroom, scoped the tv stands (leksvik corner thank you very much), the kitchen cabinets (lindingo, in white, some upper cabs with glass), ogled the comfy black and white flowery chair (lunna, but not in the boring grey shown here), my new dresser (leksvik 6 drawer), and then spent some time planning out the Pax Wardrobe System.

Oh, I love Pax. Why? Becuase I will have a freaking closet now.

Mom and I figured out what I needed--one wide tall with a fixed high shelf, two clothes rods, and two sliding shelves; on narrow tall with a fixed high shelf, a long clothes rod, and sliding shelves. The question was, do we go for the white birkland doors or the antique doors? but they're big. and that's a whole lot of antique, so we went with the white.

We went to the nice man with our list of things--including order numbers--and ordered the componets for pick up. One slight issue is that we mistakenly ordered fixed shelves in birch instead of white, which we didn't realize until we were about to pack the car, and thus had to go return the bad shelves, and switch them out for white ones.

Only other stumbling block? They were out of the awesome knappa pendant light, which will be going in my office. ehh, I'll order it online.

Once we got back, the boys unloaded the godawfully heavy boxes while mom and I polished off the rest of the baseboard and went to town on the master bedroom floor with the Murphy's Oil Soap scrub brushes, and Mom's amazing foam mop As Seen on TV. Shiny shiny clean floors!

Jonathans parents were coming up from MD for a short visit and they drove by just as we were finishing up dinner on the porch. And they brought porch lights and electric chainsaws and all sorts of nifty stuff (including a lovely spanish rose wine--yum!) They then got the grand tour for the very first time. They were quite impressed by the kitchen demo (that I'm sure Jonathan will be posting about shortly) and the shiny shiny master bedroom.

Because did I mention the master is DONE?

Next up? Shades for the master and the bathroom, otherwise the neighbors will get a little show.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Jenny Wren said...

I sooooo want to see pictures. I just did an Ikea kitchen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58009277@N00/sets/72057594118052371/
but my master closet needs some help and I'm thinking Pax. Of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home