Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

everything including the kitchen sink

I know, wittiest blog post title EVER!

ehh. I need opinions.

We're going to get the cheapie wood counters from ikea for the new kitchen, and oil the hell out of them. but I also need a drainboard, and would rather have a drainboard integrated sink.

and because I am picky, I want a deep sink. (I blame Mom, who spoiled me with the 12" plus deep stainless sink we had growing up). My minimum depth is 10".

So far we've come up with this integrated dishdrainer deep sink from Elkay. It's oh so pretty, but problem is, that thing is more than cabinets. It's a thousand bucks. who spends that on a sink?

If I could just suck it up and get a double sink, I could get an ikea one for cheap. but I don't like double sinks. God, I am picky.

So if one were in the market for a single basin, deep sink with integrated dish drainer, where the hell could one find it for less than a thousand bucks?

8 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sink!

Julie in NE NJ

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ikea has a drain board sink in stainless

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your solution is, obviously, to bring that stone sink up from the basement. you could create some kind of sculptural drain for 1/2 of it and it is So Deep!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jenny Wren said...

Ha! I searched high and low to find that sink for less than $800 and couldn't do it. My parents have that sink and I adore it but I just couldn't find it and I had time constraints that meant putting in a Kohler sink that's deep and wide but no integral drain board...sigh. Good luck finding that sink 'cause it sure is purty. And you have the exact qualifications for a sink that I had/have?

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that we got the Ikea wooden countertops too, and I highly recommend them for the price. We've had them over a year, oil them well, and really love them. They still look brand-new because we don't let knives, not pans, or anything stain-worthy anywhere near them :)

We got 3 8ft lengths. Getting them in an 8ft truck bed, was a challenge - the package is JUST a teeny bit bigger than that. If you're hauling them yourself, and only have 8ft to work with, take the end-padding off BEFORE you shove them into your vehicle ;)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger jen said...

We were looking at the ikea sinks for a bit, but they're only double sinks, sadly.

Kari--That's EXACTLY what my dad said! It would totally hold a cookie sheet flat, that's for sure.

jenny wren--I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't find it cheaper. well, not glad per se. Ugh! For the life of me I don't understand why the manufacturers make such shallow sinks!

mindy--ooh, good tip, thank you! oiling the hell out of them is definitely the plan.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm lets see A sink that you will use every day for many many years

365 days a year X 10 years
3650
3650 days/divided by 1000 dollars
.27 cents a day

would you spend a quarter a day for it?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home