Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How do you know if a contractor is ripping you off?

We are now deep into the land of contractors, and I am lost without a map -- how do I know if I am getting ripped off? We are getting about 25 new or replaced outlets/switches/fixtures, and I have an electrician estimate that comes out around $95 per. How do I know if that is a fair deal or a total ripoff? Any thoughts?

More generally, here is where we are in contractorland:

  1. Chimney people come on Thursday to close up the gratuitous hole in the kitchen, clean the flues, and seal up the firebox so we don't set the house on fire. The good news: we don't have to replace the sagging brick hearth. Quoth the chimney guy: "I've seen worse."
  2. Plumbers kick off next Tuesday by replacing our entire stack from 3rd floor to basement. Right now it's 4" iron which sticks out the wall in ridiculous ways; we are having it replaced with 3" PVC that should stay in the wall where it belongs. From there he will move to kitchen and the other stuff in the house.
  3. Tree guy gave us a first estimate. We are going to:

    • Prune back the front lawn magnolia so it doesn't swamp the house;
    • Cut down the front lawn cherry tree, which is a) ugly and b) in its declining years; and
    • Raise the gigantic back yard maple by around 20' by cutting off the large low-hanging branches. This will make a huge difference, since as-is today, the lawn is barely visible from the house because of those branches. Our neighbor hates this tree -- apparently it doesn't get leaves until May, and doesn't drop them until December.

  4. Electrician will hopefully be lined up once I figure out the fair-price problem, listed above.
  5. Carpenter to set up the fake wall -- still need one, hopefully will make some calls in the next couple days and get that going. I am kind of counting on the fact that building one stud wall should be trivially easy work for a decent carpenter.

7 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger StuccoHouse said...

I pay about $75-80 per hour for my electrician. I know he is opn the low end and price varies by location, so $95 hr. doesn't sound unreasonable. As far as new/replaced outlets, it depends on if they are pulling wire through plaster, if they have basement access, if they are replacing old wire....all pretty typical in an old house. Sounds to me like he is estimating about an hour per outlet....depending on what he needs to do, again sounds reasonable to me. I'm by no means an expert, but have a number of new outlets/switches/new wire pulled on my house.

I just about died when I got the bid to trim my old oak tree. I'll wait to read what your bid comes to :-)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

A question on the electrician. Is he just replacing the existing boxes, outlets and switches or is he adding new ones and having to fish wire, etc. If he isn't doing the latter, $95 seems outrageous to me, even adding new outlets at $95 seems high but then I've never hired anyone to do this type of thing so I don't really know.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say $95 per you do mean per hour and not per fixture, right? It was hard for me to tell from your post. $95 per hour is a bit on the high side to me, but not totally insane. $95 per fixture would be complete highway robbery.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six years ago, electricians around here (Brooklyn) charged $50-75 per outlet for unfiled work. New circuits cost $500, including the first outlet. This includes new BX and fixtures, knocking holes if necessary, but not wall repair.

All things considered, your electrician's quote is a tad high, especially given the number of outlets, but it's in the ballpark, especially if he's careful.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger JBB said...

Thanks for the thoughts! My "$95 per" was "per fixture on average" -- should've made that more clear. There is some snaking of wire, though most of it is on the first floor so in the basement; and the bid also includes some new circuits for the kitchen (dishwasher, etc) so if new circuits cost more that would be a factor. So it sounds like overall it's a high bid, maybe too high, and I should definitely work to get it down, or at least understand if any specific parts of the project are driving up the cost. I will let you know how it goes. At least this guy followed up with a bid the day after he saw our place -- the other electrician I called, supposedly the best place in town, never sent a bid even after I called and was verbally quoted a price.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hired a guy to change out outlets to GFI and was quoted $75/hr, plus I forget how much for the "visit". Pulls the "I don't have beige fixtures on the truck, I'll be back" Comes back with a helper, they spend two and half or three hours replacing eight outlets. Final bill was almost $450. Seems they were charging $75 for the first guy and $45/hr for the apprentice/helper guy! I did manage to complain and pay less and I haven't used them since.
So I would DEFINITELY get clarification on whether you'll be charged addition $$ if help is brought in.

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
In Australia "Sydney" electricians charge on average $60. to $75 AUD our dollar is .788 to your USD.So i guess all is about the same.Only trouble all trades in Sydney hard to get,shortage at the moment all in Western Australia big housing boom!And when we find a good tradesman,he becomes part of the family.You know christmas and birthday cards,weekend B.B.Q's nameing your first born after him etc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home