Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in suburban New Jersey

Jersey House: fixing up an 1899 house in north jersey, without killing each other, or the house, or the cat.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

color!

the dining room, she is painted! Kinda.

Mom came over yesterday and put the second coat on the top half (Benjamin Moore, Cameo White) because I cannot climb the ladder because oh yeah, I fell down the stairs and busted my toe real good. I am a klutz, I know.

While she was second coating, I cut in and rolled the first (of several) coats of BenjMoore's Raisin Torte. Oooh pretty dark red... that needs three coats to cover. Ehh, could have been four. About halfway through, mom lapped me and took over the cutting in, while I finished rolling. Then we left the sicky JBB to his own devices and hightailed it up to my brother and sister-in-law's house to see their super cutie new kitten Fig. Oh the cuteness. The cuteness! It kills!

So the second and third coats of raisin torte didn't get done until today, but damn they look good now.

And now, because I really didn't need what was left of my sanity, we're going to stencil the top half. And when I say "we", I mean me and if I can sucker my mom (we're both crazy anal in very similar ways). See, with the contrast between the cream and the red, the top half needs something a little darker or textury. Yeah. I caved. I ordered it.
mystencilselizabethiandamask

I think I'll do it in a bronzy-goldy color, so it's tonal but still with some contrast and not too overthetop. I'm also now debating painting the fireplace bricks black, and I've already ordered swatches of fabric for drapes. You'd think as a seamstress's daughter, I'd be used to the price of fabric per yard. You'd be wrong. This stuff is pricey, even discounted!

At some point, the room will be as Dramatic as a 16 year old Sondheim-obsessed teenage girl. Love it!

additional pictures of walls! with! color! forthcoming, as we have yet to find the cable for the digital camera. It's in a box. Somewhere. I think.

1 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your renovations look great.

Here's an idea for the stencil. Instead of paint, use spackle. It will creat a three dimensional effect. It takes time but the effects are great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home